Saturday, May 10, 2008

Making Success Happen - We All Start With the Same Seeds!!!

A craven hung along the battle’s edge,
And thought, “Had I a sword of keener steel-
That blue blade that the king’s son bears,-but
This blunt thing-!”
And lowering crept away and left the field.
Then came the king’s son, wounded, sore bestead
And weaponless, and saw the broken sword,
And ran and snatched it, and with battle-shout
Lifted afresh he hewed his enemy down,
And saved a great cause that heroic day.
-Edward Rowland Sill
As quoted in “The Secret of the Ages” by Robert Collier

Wow… A story about days of old, where just a few short lines say so much. I wouldn’t know how to say it so well myself, so I just left it intact as I came across it.
Now, I will paraphrase, in my own words, a story about tomato seeds that I have on CD, from Dean Graziosi’s “Think A Little Differently”. I have told the story many times, and haven’t listened to it in a while, so I say ‘paraphrase’ very loosely, and I apologize if I don’t do it justice – every time I tell the story it probably changes a little more.
These two neighbors both buy the same tomato seeds, from the same store, at the same time. Neighbor one reads the instructions carefully, goes to a prime location in the back yard, and hoes up the ground. He prepares a garden, plants his seeds at the recommended depth, and covers them over.
Neighbor two grabs the package, goes outside the back door, dumps the seeds on the ground, and kicks some loose dirt over them. Then he proceeds to go inside, grab a cold beer, and sit on the couch to watch some television. He thinks, "Ah, there, I will have delicious tomatoes in no time".
Neighbor one fertilizes his seeds, and waters them regularly according to the directions. He weeds his garden as needed, puts a fence up around it, and stakes the full, beautiful plants as they begin to reach the appropriate size.
Neighbor two checks his plants, sees a few scraggly bushes starting to pop up, and says, “Hmmm… Good… They are starting to grow.”
Some time passes, and neighbor one has big, ripe, beautiful tomatoes for his family to enjoy, and enough to share some with friends and family.
Neighbor two has a few plants, with a few small tomatoes. Neighbor two looks over the fence at neighbor one’s tomatoes, kicks the ground, spits, and proclaims, “Figures! He even got better tomato seeds than I did!!!”
On a personal note, I loaned this CD to a friend of mine, and she was listening to it in her car while driving with her daughter who was about five at the time. She told me that her daughter, on hearing that, proclaimed, “BUT MOMMY, THEY GOT THE SAME SEEDS!” Needless to say, I loved hearing that… Oh, but what sometimes comes “Out of the mouths of babes!”.

No comments: